29 June- 1 July 2012
The 22nd conference is organised by Screen journal and will be programmed by Screen editor Karen Lury. ‘Other Cinemas’ will be the subject of the plenaries and will form a strand running throughout the conference.
Confirmed keynote speakers:
- Charles Acland (Concordia University), co-editor of Useful Cinema (2011)
- Thomas Elsaesser (University of Amsterdam), author of The Persistence of Hollywood: from Cinephile Moments to Blockbuster Memories (2012)
- Elizabeth Lebas (Middlesex University), author of Forgotten Futures: British Municipal Cinema 1920-1980 (2011)
Looking into the past and the future of cinema has inspired increasing academic interest in films and film-making practices that are generally considered to be outside the ‘mainstream’ of commercial cinema. This year Screen encouraged presentations that engage with these ‘Other Cinemas’:
- ‘Amateur’ films;
- Educational cinema;
- Industrial films;
- Films produced for and distributed via different web platforms;
- Experimental or avant-garde work;
- 'Sponsored’ films (municipal cinema, health films).